November 13, 2013

Apply Now for the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program

Medical-school hopefuls can catch up on the prerequisite coursework they missed as undergraduates by enrolling in the University of Colorado Boulder’s Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program. Applications are currently being accepted for 2014.

Designed for “career changers,” the program invites applicants who were academically successful as undergraduates — earning a minimum 3.3 GPA in a non-science field — but have not completed the core science prerequisites needed to apply to medical school. The program provides an intensive, cohort-style academic experience, in which students learn together as a group.

Ilana Fischer was part of the 2012-2013 cohort. She has a bachelor’s degree in economics and Spanish literature from CU-Boulder. After graduating, she went to work at the Brookings Institution, a Washington D.C. think tank devoted to public policy and independent research. She has since changed her focus to concentrate on medical school.

“It was my dream job, and I am incredibly grateful for the experience. But economics is detached,” she said. “I realized I wanted to combine my interest in science with something more personal. I chose medicine.”

In addition to coursework, the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical program provides students with personalized advising, tutoring and study skills support, and assistance in applying to medical schools through the Committee Letter Process.

The 2014 cohort will begin coursework on June 2 and orientation begins May 28. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews with qualified candidates will begin in January. For more information or to download the application, please visit the website at http://conted.colorado.edu/premed or email postbacmd@colorado.edu.

Bookmark and Share
  • print this story